Chicken Bon Dude

So it seemed a few years back that everyone and their mothers was blogging about the classic Creole dish, Chicken Bon Femme. All this talk about the Good Woman's chicken sure got my mouth watering. I decided to cook it. 
Because I put my spin on it (i.e., Andouille instead of ham), I decided that this is not chicken of a good woman, it is the chicken of a good dude. I messed plenty of things up, but it still came out quite tasty. Rather than giving the recipe i attempted to follow, I'll let you all know what I actually did. Here it is:

Tools:
Cast Iron Skillet
Dutch Oven
Oven preheated to 350
Ingredients:
  • 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch squares
  • 6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • 1 Bottle Lawry's garlic Herb marinade
  • 2 Tbs. flour
  • 1 link diced andouille
  • 1 cups chopped green onion tops
  • 1 cup chopped yellow onion (sprinkled with a pinch of Salt and a pinch of Baking Soda)
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp. Tabasco
  • 2 lbs. white potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4" cubes
  • Canola oil for frying
  • 1 stick butter? (I'm not sure if I actually used any. a crime against Creole food.)
  • 1 bunch of parsley
  • 10 cloves garlic, chopped (you might want to use a chopper or food processor for this)
  • Creole Seasoning (I used Tony's cause it's what I had.)


1. The evening before I put the chicken breasts into a plastic Ziploc bag with the whole bottle of marinade.
2. the Bacon went in to the Cast Iron Skillet. I did the bacon thing then took it out and set it aside.
3. Coated the chicken in the flour and fried it up in the bacon grease (plus a little bit of the canola oil) until the outside was cooked.
4. In the Dutch oven I heat oil then fried the potato cubes which had been coated in the Tony's. When i took them out and put them on the drying rack, I sprinkled parsley on them. After this, I quickly removed the oil from the Dutch oven.
5. In the skillet, next went the andouille. After getting that nice and heated up I added the green onions, yellow onion, Worcestershire, and Tabasco. This is where I made my first mistake. I accidentally added the minced garlic also. (Hence the reason the butter never got used.) I got this all nice and cooked down, then threw in the bacon.
6. Once I had all this done, I committed what I will call my second mistake. This “method” was in at least one of the recipes, but I think it would have come out better had I not done the following. When putting the chicken and veggies in the Dutch oven, I put the potatoes in also. If I do this again, I think I would actually fry the potatoes while everything else is roasting in the oven, then put it all on hot Brabant Potatoes. So yeah… stuff in a 350 degree oven.
7. Take the bacon/sausage/chicken drippings and deglaze with dry white wine. Pour this over stuff in oven when you flip the chicken breast halfway through the roasting portion of the process.
8. This where one SHOULD rub a generous amount of chopped garlic and parsley (chopped together) over the cooked chicken and potatoes; Serve and enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts