Poulet Sauce Rochambeau



To make Chicken Rochambeau, begin making the Rochambeau sauce
    1. Mix a half cup of butter with a half cup of minced onions, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of baking soda. You'll want those onions practically liquefied. Sauté.
    2. Once the onions begin to wilt and change color, add a half cup of flour, and roux this mixture up. I think I made mine a bit too blonde thanks to Antoine's perpetually vague instructions, so get it nice and dark. Then you pour in your stock. Two important notes on the Stock:
      1. Make sure to use STOCK, not broth as the stock has dissolved gelatin from the bones in it. Broth does not.
      2. I used chicken stock as per the recipe, but I dare say that a beef stock may have given the dish a richer flavor. I have heard of this being used, and I imagine the whole reason that the recipe calls for chicken is that one would be likely to have it around when, say, cooking chicken. I’m going to try beef stock next time.
    3. Right after I added the stock, I added about a cup of Steen’s cane syrup. Stir while reducing over medium heat until the sauce becomes thick. Lower the heat.
Next, continue by making Béarnaise sauce.

    • I won't tell you how, but I will tell you how not to. Do NOT use the recipe in the Antoine's cookbook, it make a grammatical error which gives one cup of melted butter with some stuff in it. 
    • The only advise I can give on this is to make sure to pour the melted butter (in very very small amounts) into the eggs, NOT the eggs into the butter. Make sure that little bit of butter get furiously whipped and mixed into the eggs, before pouring a dash more butter. Take a look on the internet or in a cook book, and you find many different Béarnaise recipes. Pick one, anyone. I think next time I’ll use the recipe in Galatoire’s cook book (Later note: This one worked out perfectly). Keep it on the lowest possible heat while assembling everything, merely to keep it warm.

While making the sauces, I threw onto some BSCBs (boneless, skinless chicken breasts) season liberally with Tony’s onto the Grill pan.

Then throw each thick slice of Chisesi ham into the Rochambeau to warm up. Plate it all, from bottom to top: Rochambeau, Chisesi ham, Rochambeau, Chicken, Béarnaise.

Comments

Popular Posts